- Show at the Hebraica with Sylvia Telles, Roberto Menescal and others. For this show, the social director of the Hebrew Club baptized the group “The Bossa-Novas”. And the name persists until today.
- Shows at the Navy School and at the auditorium of “O Globo” newspaper.
- Show at PUC with Oscar Castro Neves and Juca Chaves, among others.
– Cameo appearance in the J.B. Tanco film, Pistoleiro Bossa Nova, performing Maria Ninguém.
- Records Maria Ninguém in a 45-rpm compact (Philips), as part of the soundtrack for the film Pistoleiro Bossa Nova.
- Tours throughout the northeast of Brazil with Teatro de Arena, a theatre group from São Paulo.
– Bossa Nova Concert at Carnegie Hall in New York on November 21st together with Tom Jobim, João Gilberto, Roberto Menescal, Sérgio Mendes, the Oscar Castro Neves Trio. Carlos Lyra presents his “Influência do Jazz”. An instrumental version of the same song is performed by Sérgio Mendes and his group.
– Concert at the George Washington Auditorium, Washington, D.C.
- Assumes as Musical Director for the Rádio Nacional, where he remains until the military coup in 1964.
- Travels to the U.S. and appears with Stan Getz at the Newport Jazz Festival.
- Appears in the musical “Pobre Menina Rica” at the Teatro Maison de France in Rio, together with Nara Leão and Napoleão Muniz Freire.
- Appears in the musical “Pobre Menina Rica” at the Teatro de Bolso Aurimar Rocha, in Rio, together with Cléa Simões, Noriel Vilela, Milton Gonçalves, Ary Toledo, Roberto de Cleto, Vera Gertel and Antônio Adolfo’s “Trio em 3D”.
- Appearances in Brazil, Canada, Japan and the Newport Jazz Festival as feature performer for the Stan Getz band.
- Travels to Mexico, performing in concerts with Stan Getz.